Sunday, February 23, 2014

Tears and tears and more tears...

This week has been a rough week... I'm happy my mother was still around to help us out as the boys, I think, are going through a phase... Maybe that's what they call one of those "wonder weeks".  This is the first time since we brought the boys home two months ago that I really feel like SUPER tired.  We went to bed at 8pm on Monday as I had a pretty rough night so I wanted to get as much (albeit interrupted) sleep as possible.  Monday night was another hard night with the boys... I must have been up almost every hour from their bedtime until 3am.  The day wasn't any much better... the boys are cramping bad this week and I just don't know how to help them.  I try everything, we even gave them warm water (sterilized of course) with a tiny bit of honey... well as much as the boys liked it, I guess that was another of my mistakes.  No more honey (I guess that's a no no until they're at least one) but the little bit of water seemed to help them go as they all had a poop within the next 12 hours.  Whether it was the water or just the fact that they really really needed to poop... I'm just glad it happened!  Yeah for poop!!  It took Jacob about 4 days and Zachary was also on day 4 by the time he pooped... poor little buddies.   When Jacob's system decided to let loose, it let LOOSE... all over me!!! It was the first time I got pooped on.  The worst was that he had a diaper on AND his pyjamas, it just leaked through! HA!!  I'm not sure if it's the iron we have to give them daily or just their system having a moment.  They had cramp issues all week.  Yesterday was much of the same... the boys had one of their worst afternoons.  Was I ever glad that Gabe was here to help!! It would have sucked having to deal with an afternoon like that all on my own.  I can picture myself just letting them all cry, plopping down on the floor and crying myself!  I'm sure it'll happen!  Wait for it in next week's blog as I'll be alone most of this week... for the first time!   Last night, after the afternoon's craziness, the boys decided they had had enough and wanted to sleep.  Zachary and Samuel slept for 6 hours!!!!!!!!  They lasted close to 7 hours between feeds!!! Not sure if this was a fluke or a sign of things to come!  I seriously checked on them 5 times to make sure they were still alive.  Jacob wasn't ready to let me sleep though... he still slept well but just not hours hehe!  So tonight we're trying a cluster feed as it seemed to work last night, we'll see how it goes... Always trying something new, hoping it's the right thing... but what IS the right thing?  Who knows?  

The nurse came back to the house to take some weights and measurements for the boys.  She does all sorts of tests with them too to make sure they are developing as they should.  Zachary and Samuel broke the 10lbs mark!  Zachary was 10lbs 5oz, Samuel was 10lbs 3oz and my little Jacob was 8lbs 6oz!  They're all about 21 inches long (yes, even Jacob... he may be little, but he's keeping up with the lenght).  They still have no reflex to fall forward on their arms... They would go head first without stopping themselves, so that's still a little scary.  Not that I plan on dropping them but my husband might... lol.  She said she's pretty pleased with how they're developing and so is mamma bear! 

Tuesday night, our friend Julie came to help.  She even brought supper!  That was almost as welcome as the help! haha... we are so lucky as most of our friends are people who don't need to be entertained and can just be there with us without any forced conversation.  Julie was extra amazing as she's a go getter and she practically forced me to tell her what she could do.  I still have a really hard time letting people help when they come over and I just say "no, it's ok, there's nothing to do really".  She made sure we sat down and enjoyed our supper, she did the dishes and just LOVED cuddling with the babies (who wouldn't though really?!?).  Here she is with Jacob and Samuel and loving it!  Thanks for your help Jules! 



My friend Alicia also came to visit this week.  She didn't really get to cuddle all the babies but she'll be around quite a bit so it's not the first or the last time she'll get the chance to cuddle.  She also brought me amazing news!  I'm not quite sure I'm allowed to say anything so I'll refrain, but I was quite happy!!  All these visits from my friends made me start missing work... not just the work part (yes, I like the work part of my job) but also the social aspect that comes with it.  I miss interacting with my students and most of all, I miss my friends.  Baby stuff all night and day can get quite exhausting!  That's why it's nice when friends come to visit as it takes a bit of the monotony out of my life.  Don't get me wrong, I love spending time with my babies, but they don't really talk to me right now... 

We had to send our dog to the vet on Wednesday.  Poor girl's nails were so long and the nerve had grown with the nail so anytime we tried to trim them, she'd bleed and cry.  The vet had to put her to sleep to cut them as short as we wanted them.  She was super sad and cuddly all night after we went to get her.  It's quite nice not hearing her nails following me up and down the hall everytime I go back and forth in the hall (because she doesn't leave my side even if she couldn't care less about the babies).  

On Thursday, I had made another hair appointment to try and fix my hair... well fix the colour anyway.  I had decided I thought I looked like a little boy with my short brown hair so I asked if she could make it blond.  Anyways, I'm happy with the new result and I'm starting to like it more everyday.  So I had left my mother alone with the boys when I left, knowing that she would only be alone for 1 hour before Gabe came home and they were all sleeping when I left.  (I also missed the awesome turn around from the girl's gold medal win! Sad face.... ).  I guess the boys started going wild almost as soon as I left.  My mom was quite happy when Gabe got home... This is the scene that I walked into... haha... (I laugh now... but I will cry when it happens to me... maybe I will laugh, but then I'll know I've gone crazy!)




The boys went for their first real official outing out of the house this week.  After mom and I took a walk on Wednesday, we decided to go surprise my sister and the family.  My nieces LOVE taking care of the boys soooo much.  They even came back yesterday to spend time with the boys.  It'll be nice when they're old enough to babysit! haha!  

Here are some pics of the week:






Jacob's milk face

This walk was a little less cold... haha... We even opened the flaps to let them have some fresh air! 

My mom loving some snowy times before heading back to sunny Florida! 


Zachary in his crib



This is the state of our house most of the time... lived in I guess...lol

I tried to set them up to cheer on Canada for the game but Jacob had checked out early and I was quickly losing the battle with the other two.  Next time they'll be ready! 
As always my friends... Live, Laugh & Love... 

xox

3 comments:

  1. If the babies are still having constipation problems, you could try BioGia. It is a probiotic,. My pediatrician recommended it for my boys and I think it has helped with constipation and colic. It isn't a prescription, but you do have to ask the pharmacist for it because it is refrigerated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been reading your blog from the beginning....and can so relate to you on many things! My twin boys are 6 months old, we're born in August at 28 weeks! My sister works with your sister I believe, and she told me about your family! I was also going to suggest the bio drops...it really helped with my boys, as they had bad cramps and stomach issues, especially that they are on iron supplement daily as well. hang in there....it gets easier, I swear! We both went through a lot...and it's quite the journey, but it does get better and better. Let me know if you want to chat! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suzanne! I will try the bio drops if things don't get better! It's quite a journey huh? I'm glad your boys are doing good!! 28 weeks?!? wow...

      Delete