Sunday, August 17, 2014

What a year!

Last year, at this time, I had married my best friend and was celebrating with friends and family.. who knew we could make it last a whole year?  I guess we didn't really have the chance to think much about our marriage since our lives have been consumed by three others...

Things I've discovered within the last year:

  • My pain threshold is not very high;
  • When you are expecting triplets, you really see the kindness of strangers shine and your friends really step up to the plate;
  • Being a mother is unlike anything I'd ever imagined.  I was 18 weeks pregnant when I got married and I had a hard time making it down the rocky isle to my hubby to be.  I had no idea that the next 14 weeks would bring on so much more discomfort, pain, embarrassment (can you say motorized chair at Wal-Mart that beeps when you back up), and just plain old boredom; thus my obsession with everything the Kardashians ever made;
  • My pregnancy was by far the most difficult thing I've ever done but I would do it over and over à la Groudhog's Day if it brought me my boys at the end; 
  •  I also discovered what it was like to look upon your babies without being able to touch/hold them.  Emotionally, THAT was the hardest thing I've ever done and I don't wish it upon anyone... being scared to touch your own flesh and blood by fear of hurting their tiny little limbs or disturbing their breathing patterns that they are still trying to master... that... is just painful...  
  • I've discovered how strong tiny little babies can be and how fragile they can also be.  A year ago yesterday, a fellow Facebook triplet mom friend of mine lost her baby because he was too little to fight the big fight... she actually lost two of her babies around that time and has a wonderful survivor.  If you want to read her heartbreaking but also uplifting blog, you can find it here: http://www.perfectlypeyton.com/.  Another mother lost her 11 month old triplet boy to complications following an open heart surgery... that one hit me hard... They both remind me everyday of how lucky I am to have carried the boys as long as I did and that I still have my three strong healthy babies with me;  
  • Triplets in public are freak shows;
  • Strangers at Costco can be really rude... I guess when you have multiples, it gives you free rein to ask inappropriate questions;
  • Strangers at Costco can be very kind;
  • I don't always like being the center of attention;
  • My family is amazing... I mean, I already knew that, but holy cow our families rock! 
  • Gabe is such a good father, like he's truly stepped up to the plate... he loves his boys and is an amazing partner;
  • I really love my job and I actually miss it.  I love my kids, but I crave social interaction and miss my fake kids;
  • My house is no longer my house;
  • We can get by with very little;
  • I can get by on very little sleep;
  • Routine is key;
  • Sleep is awesome;
  • A home cooked meal is golden;
  • I love being a mother. 
I'm sure there are many other things I've discovered and I will continue to do so over the years as a multiple mom and I look forward to them all! 

Gabe and I got to go away this weekend for our anniversary.  My mother, sister and nieces were kind enough to come over and spend about 36 hours with our boys.  It was the first time we had an overnight away from the the boys.  Do you think we slept in?  NO!  First of all, we were in a double bed and our bed at home is a King and we're not big on cuddling to sleep... but the sheets were so comfy, we actually took a picture of the tag to see if we could buy the same ones for our bed!  We went to a B&B in Upper Kingsclear called Sunset on the River.  Check it out: Sunset on the River.  I gotta give a shout out to Tom and Judy for being exceptional hosts.  Judy's breakfast was pretty spectacular and we had amazing conversations.  We told them that when we retire (and we're rich because we won the lottery), we will come buy them out and take over.  Take a look at the wonderfulness of it all:





Gab skipping rocks


This amazing jet tub bath... I could almost swim in it!  
The sign that awaited us when we got home... made by my lovely niece Alexie... I mean, the boys made it
I gotta say that we are cursed when it comes to B&Bs... We used to go to another B&B because they had a hot tub but both times we went, it was broken so we decided to try something different, sans hot tub.  When we went for a walk around this B&B's property, we noticed they had a hot tub but we assumed it was their own personal one.  While talking with them the next day, we remarked that they must enjoy their hot tub. They told us that it broke down last week and if it hadn't, we would have been welcome to use it!  WHAT?!?  I'm telling you, that damn hot tub knew we were coming and broke down!  They also told us the next morning that the river was good to swim in and their kids and grandkids jump off the dock.  It would be a good place to bring the kids one day once they're swimmers!  All I gotta say is that we were really pleased with our stay and that we'll for sure go again.  We also went to Kingslanding and as much as we enjoyed listening to the tradesmen talk about their trades, I wasn't as impressed with it as I was with Le Pays de la Sagouine or what I remember of Le Village Acadien... Maybe the French are more lively in general?  

It was a good week with the babies since they were feeling much better.  Samuel is not napping well but is, for the most part, in good spirits.  The only negative side to him not napping well is that my "me" time is always cut quite short.  We went to visit my sister at her campground and were able to put the babies in the pool for about 10 minutes before we were kicked out for being rowdy!  Just kidding... they were kicking people out for an hour so that the old folks could swim their laps without the young ones splashing water all over the place.  I also brought the babies to Crystal Palace as it's closing soon and I wanted to have a picture with them there.  I worked at McGinnis Landing for about 3 years so it makes me sad that the whole complex is closing and makes me wonder where my old co-workers are going to end up... Plus, it was an amazing restaurant so hopefully they'll open up somewhere else :) 

Jacob is standing on his own, with support of course and Sam finally figured out how to use his arms (just today!) so we've got our second crawler!  Zachary is still going backwards all over the place so hopefully one day he'll figure out how to switch the gear and go forwards!  

Gabe wanted to add something to last week's blog about the positives about having triplet boys:  
"For the most part they'll have a lot of the same age appropriate interest. If you have a 2 year old and a 5 year old  the 5 year old may not want to do something because it's "for babies" and the two year old might not be able to do stuff the 5 year old does because they're not old enough.   Just like girls may not want to do boy things and boys may not want want to do girl things."  True that husband! 

PICS!!!  There a lots of them this week as I asked my sister to send me periodic pics while I was away... 

You can see Jacob mid-way into getting up on his feet

CRYSTAL PALACE!!!!




Jacob was so captivated by all the lights and sounds!! 

Samuel wasn't as impressed as Jacob and fell asleep



 

Shout out to James at WAXMEN for hooking us up with these awesome wax molds of the boys' foot!  I wanted to do their hands but they wouldn't cooperate so we did the feet instead.  


They love when papa plays guitar! 





It's a good thing we lowered the bed when we did!! 







This is after having only slept 20 mins for his morning nap... He doesn't realize he's still tired but look at his eyes!! 


With Alexie

With Gabrielle






Hi Maman!! 









Happy Acadian Day!!! 






This is one of the first pictures they sent me... I guess the mice will play huh?  Cutie Acadian Cabbage Patch butts! 


The boys were exhausted after their long weekend with Mamie, Matante Cindy and Cousins Alexie and Gabrielle... They actually fell asleep on their bottle.
Beautiful flowers my husband got me for our anniversary... xox 

 Have a good week y'all!


No comments:

Post a Comment