Sunday, October 6, 2013

Week 25 - Shower Time!

I'm so freakin tired... but what a weekend!  I had my two showers this weekend and what an exciting time! I feel bad for my shower #2 because I think I spent all my energy on Saturday and had none left for Sunday!!

Shower # 1
This was my family and friends shower, there were about 40ish people there!  So many goodies to eat!! Meatballs, rice, cheesecakes, squares, etc... it was quite a lunch! There was a mix of people ranging from friends I've known forever, my sister's friends (who have also become mine through the years), my sister's husband's family, my aunts and cousins, Gabe's family (aunts, cousins, family friends), some of which I only met at the shower for the first time, so it was nice to meet new people.  My father in law and hubby wanted to make sure I was really comfortable so they brought over a lazy boy from the in-law's house so that I could put my feet up which is what I did for the most part.  My mom, my sister, my mother in law and I planned the whole event and I think it went really well.  We got SO MUCH STUFF!! People are just so gosh darn generous, it's crazy!  Some of the stuff we got was pyjamas, onesies, a diaper genie, a changing table topper, tonnes of cool toys, books (French ones finally!! thanks Tan!!),  gift cards, money, and so much more... I just forget, a lot of it was a big blur. I can't wait to show Gabe and actually take it all in.

My mother in law and me

My sis, me and my mother


View of the hall, the gifts, the guests and my huge belly!!
Notice the sign... my hubby crossed out the "a" and put a "3" and added an "s" cutie pie!
We got a lot of cards that got modified grammatically, it was cute and super thoughtful!  

Shower # 2
This was my friends and colleagues party, all planned by my friends Becky, Alicia, Sarah and Pam. Lots of yummy goodies there too... Two cakes (amazing carrot cake and chocolate cake), this awesome dip that I can't even describe to you but I can tell you it had chocolate chips and you can never go wrong with chocolate chips, nanaimo squares, brownies, CANDY, just a bunch of yummy yums!!   It was great to see my girlfriends that I don't get to see all that often anymore.  It made me a bit nostalgic as about half of them I was used to seeing everyday at work and I feel totally out of the loop and makes me miss being at work that much more.  I spent most of the time just sitting back, soaking it all in and enjoying having them around me.  I was spent within the first 1/2 hour, I guess the day before really took a lot out of me, but I still had a really good time.  Don't you always when you're surrounded by people who love you and you love?  Again, I was showered with amazing gifts and generosity.  We got some awesome preemie clothes that the boys will surely need at the hospital or when they just get home from there.  We were also given a video monitor that swivels so that we can spy on all three boys, it's in colour and we can talk to the babies through it!  Gabe tried it the moment I got home from the shower, it's super neat. It even has a little night light on it!

Three "It's a boy" banners welcomed the guests... cute! 

My wonderful friends... xox
The sign says "Week 25"

Anyways, so much love, generosity, support... SO MUCH STUFF!!! My mom is going to come this week to help me sort out what we need right away and what we can put aside for a few months.  That will give me a chance to really look at everything and actually appreciate it without feeling completely overwhelmed and honestly a little guilty about all the stuff we were given.  I know people don't give what they can't afford, but it still made me feel guilty accepting all of it.  Trust me, I normally like being the centre of attention, but this was a little much, even for me.  It was another very humbling weekend.

I also got to spend some time with my book club girls this week.  I think we're on year 5 or 6, no one knows for sure.  All I know is that I would be lost without them...  When I started with them, Sondra was the only one who already had a baby, Claire.  Through the years, our book club meetings became less and less about books (although we always had the best book choices) and more and more about babies and everything surrounding baby making in general.  Our club is special in the way that we've dealt with everything a woman can go through during the baby making process... we dealt with infertility and loss and even through it all, we've been each other's biggest support, knowing that we would be there for one another no matter what.  Some of us had a hard time being part of the club when there was joyous talks of new babies while we were dealing with the negative sides of baby making, but we always came back to each other.  Through the years, we saw the appearance of, in order of their births, Sondra's #2 Wyatt, Kari's Jackson, shortly followed by Becky's Sawyer, Mel's twin girls Leah and Lily shortly followed by Alicia's Alfie, then there was Sarah's Isaac and Kari's #2 Avery and just last week we got our newest addition, Meg's baby girl Mackenzie.  My boys will be next and then who knows?  Our book club family has grown so much in the last 5 years, I can't even imagine what the next 5 will bring us. I'm sure our baby making topics will change to the toddler years and etc...  Our husbands got a little jealous of our monthly meetings I think because they established their own "Thirsty Thursday" tradition, where they also meet once a month at a pub and probably bitch about us! haha...  We certainly bitch about them... I mean... share how much we love them... yes, that's it!  We always have our yearly selections of books, as that's what ultimately brought us together, but it's certainly not what keeps us together... xox ladies...

So the babies are apparently the size of a rutabaga, whatever that is, and are supposed to be about a pound and a half each.  I have another appointment on Wednesday, so we'll see how much they've grown.  I can't wait to see them again!

A little closer view
That's Sarah's little guy Isaac being held by my fiend Shawna :) 

Rutabaga

No comments:

Post a Comment